Oikocredit and Opportunity International announce impact investment of USD 100 million to advance education in low-income countries
The collaboration is expected to reach up to 1.6 million children by increasing access to capital for schools and families with students in Africa, India and Latin America
Social impact investor Oikocredit and global non-profit Opportunity International announced an innovative three-year collaboration to increase access to and quality of education in low-income countries. They will do this by investing up to USD 100 million in financial institutions who are benefiting from Opportunity International’s EduFinance programme.
To help fight the global education crisis, this collaboration will support the education sector through school improvement loans for classrooms, washrooms, dormitories, teachers, and transportation. It will also support school leaders with financial products to make instruction more effective and provide loans for school fees and tuitions to keep students in the classroom.
Mirjam ‘t Lam, Interim Managing Director, Oikocredit, said: “Oikocredit’s ambition is to empower low-income people with the choices they need to create a life of dignity. A key enabling element for this is access to education. We’re proud to be partnering with Opportunity International to improve access to education for low-income people via training and financing new initiatives together with financial inclusion partners.”
Arkiv > 2021 > november
- 30 november | 2021 - IDH Farmfit Fund and Oikocredit co-investment in Aldea Global to support Nicaraguan coffee smallholders
- 17 november | 2021 - Symbiotics and Oikocredit invest in ETG to support West Africa cocoa and cashew value chains
- 16 november | 2021 - Q3 2021 quarterly report: Cautious optimism
- 16 november | 2021 - Mirjam ‘t Lam appointed Oikocredit’s Managing Director
- 15 november | 2021 - Oikocredit partners Crecer and Fonkoze shortlisted for European Microfinance Award 2021 for Inclusive Finance and Healthcare
- 05 november | 2021 - Oikocredit holds general meeting in December
- 04 november | 2021 - Capacity building for agriculture [interview]
- 03 november | 2021 - Oikocredit expands its financial inclusion portfolio with the latest investment in Senegal
- 01 november | 2021 - Oikocredit and Opportunity International announce impact investment of USD 100 million to advance education in low-income countries